History

  • 1892  Founded by Melchior Schmitz in Altenberge (D)
  • 1935  Production of the first semitrailers and semitrailer container
  • 1969  Expansion and setting up of the plant in Vreden (D)
  • 1978  Opening of Export Division TRAILER ENGINEERING in Zug (CH)
  • 1980  New development of the facilities in Altenberge (D) and
    Berlin (D)
  • 1991  Takeover of the Harelaw plant (GB)
  • 1997  Setting up of the Schmitz-Gotha facility (D)
  • 1999  Satellite concept, facilities: Toddin (D), Panevžys (LT),
    Harelaw (GB)
  • 2002  Saragossa plant (E)